Former CNN travel reporter, Kalin Thomas, hosted a panel discussion: “Traveling While Black: Tales & Tips from Black Women Travel Writers,” with panelists Sheree Williams of Cuisine Noir Magazine, Elaine R. Lee of Ugogurl Productions and Lysa Baldwin, of www.authenticityandpurpose.com, It was held in the fall of 2021 on World Tourism Day.
To watch the discussion simply click here and wait at least 20 seconds: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HbuEqwiVj3h9ibY2wgi_Q_fzsqvFD3HP/view
Women in Travel Summit Workshop Panelist and Mentoring Team 2016.
Speaker at the annual Nomadness Travel Tribe Conference that was held in New York City in September 2016.
Good news! Elaine Lee was a featured speaker at the 2022 SF Bay Area Travel and Adventure Show which was held at the Santa Clara Convention Center. On May 21st, she taught a travel writing class and was joined on stage by social media/marketing guru, Matthew Felix. Together they provided a top notch insight into the world of travel journalism for the attendees of the class. The class was entitled “Travel Writing 101: Breaking into Travel Journalism.”
This was the concluding event for the event producers’ national/5 city travel expo. https://travelshows.com
On August 11, 2020, the Bay Area Travel Writers Association hosted an online presentation featuring Elaine Lee and Faith Adiele. Elaine spoke on the history of black travel and her speech was entitled “From the Slaveship to the Spaceship” followed by Faith who shared her efforts to decolonize travel writing, update the canon, expand the definition of travel writing and find, mentor, edit, publish and amplify the huge numbers of black and brown travelers. It was followed by an informal Q&A session. It was well attended and well received.
Keynote Speaker at the annual 2016 Travel Professionals of Color Annual National Conference held in April near Los Angeles, CA.
Travel Writing 101 at Wice Institute, Paris France (2019)
African American Travel Conference
Keynote Speaker at the annual 2015 African American Travel Conference, an association of 2,500 travel planners. It was held in April near Chicago, Illinois.
Travel Writing and Publishing Seminar in San Francisco, CA
Hosted by Dave Egger’s Writers Education Center/826 Valencia
and moderated by Don George, Global Travel Editor at Lonely Planet
- John Flinn, Former Executive Travel Editor of the San Francisco Chronicle
- Larry Habegger, Executive Editor of Travelers’ Tales
- Amanda Jones, freelance travel writer and photographer
- Elaine Lee, author of Go Girl
- Moderated by Don George, Global Travel Editor at Lonely Planet
"...Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & narrowmindedness." Mark Twain
- Travel Writing 101 at Wice Institute, Paris France (2019)
- Empowering Womxn of Color Conference (University of California in Berkeley) 2018/19 – Globetrotting 101 Workshop
- VONA, Voices of Our Nations Arts Foundation, Guest Lecturer (2014/2018)
- Paycation Business Launch Event, Oakland, CA – Presenter (2015)
- Bloom Literary Salon at Laurel Books, Oakland, CA, Presenter (2015)
- Global Fund for Women Literary Benefit (2005)
- Wild Writing Women’s travel writing salon (2005)
- Opening Address for National Black Travel Writers Symposium
(Howard University, 2003)
- Marin Writer’s Association (2003)
- Chicago Black Expo (2000)
- SoulofAmerica.com – Presenter at a Travel Writing Seminar on a Carnaval Caribbean Cruise (2002)