Hello, Hola, Bonjour, Ciao!
In the spirit of sisterhood and collective upliftment, I am writing to share some travel media related information that recently came my way. I publish this newsletter approximately 3-4 times per year with the goal of informing the African American travel media community about upcoming events, news, calls for submission, residencies and updates on my travel work. Here’s hoping your find something interesting or useful within.
If you would like to be on the mailing list to receive the newsletter in the future, just send an email to email@example.com.
Awakening the global heart, Elaine Lee
To see the most recent version of the newsletter, just visit the link below!
November 28, 2018 edition
Here is an excerpt from it:
Check out the new movie, “Green Book,” starring Mahershala Ali.
Spring Newsletter 2019 Edition
July 30. 2018 edition
Here is an excerpt from it:
Nomadness Travel Tribe presents “Audacity” is a day long, interactive festival for travelers of color. September 8th, Oakland Ca. For more info or to volunteer visit: http://www.audacityfest.com
The February 20. 2018 edition
Here is an excerpt from it:
November 26, 2017 edition
Here is an excerpt from it:
Nowhere Magazine Travel Writing Contest-Deadline: December 15, 2017 Entry Fee: $20 Cash Prize: $1,000 Visit the website for guidelines.
June 13, 2017 edition
Here is an excerpt from it:
Oprah Winfrey contracts with former Essence editor-in-chief, to create a black reality travel show called “Checking Inn”. It will air on OWN in the fall. Checking Inn, follows Greenwood as she runs Akwaaba Bed & Breakfast Inns, the most successful B&B business on the East Coast. http://realscreen.com/2017/03/28/own-orders-docuseries-released-checking-inn/
February 2017 edition
Here is an excerpt from the February 2017 edition.
Casting Notice for a black travel reality show from Adam Johnson
To see the December newsletter, just visit the link below.
Here is an excerpt from the December 2016 edition!
Black Caucus of the American Library Association-Self-Publishing Literary Awards – Deadline: February 17, 2017 – Website: bcala.org – email address: firstname.lastname@example.org – Two prizes of $500 each are given annually for a poetry e-book and a fiction e-book by an African American writer self-published in the United States during the previous year. Submit an e-book self-published in 2016 by February 17. There is no entry fee. Call, e-mail, or visit the website for complete guidelines.
To see the September newsletter, just visit the link below.
Here is an excerpt from the September 2016 edition!
Griots Republic is publishing an anthology on black travel. They are inviting contributions. The book is an anthology and it is a big, beautiful, full-color, 200 + page hardcover coffee table book and resource on black travel and contains the best from our writers, as well as over 150 large format photos and stories written specifically for the book. As a black travel resource we are looking to include comprehensive information on the black travel groups and bloggers in the travel sphere.If you are interested in having your company’s information included in the book, then please send us the following information by September 15th, 2016
- A brief written summary about your organization/blog. ( 100 – 250 words Max.)
- Your logo (a high resolution .png)
- Your contact information (website, email, IG, FACEBOOK, TWITTER)
- (OPTIONAL) If you have a dope travel photo that you would like included in the book, then please feel free to submit that as well (you must be in the photo). This may be an opportunity to further showcase and highlight the brand. If including your photo, then please send the original, high-res photo and complete the electronic release form (Photo Release Form) as well.
Kind Regards, Alexandra Stewart, Alexandra@GriotsRepublic.com/ www.BlackTravel.com
Here is a link and excerpt from the July 2016 edition and below that are actual newsletters.
Calls for Submission
- TravelNoire.com is accepting applications for paid fellowships – notice sent 8/9 and applications due 8/14/16 travelnoire.workable.com/
- The San Francisco Presidio Trust has four internships (archaeology, education, exhibition, and public programs) that we are starting to recruit for. They are year-long, residential internships where the interns get to live and work in the national park of the Presidio. The interns get free housing and a small stipend to cover their food and other expenses.https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByTtF2j1Im3zZnk3Q3lsejUyMUk/view
- Travelers’ Tales: The Best Women’s Travel Writing Anthology is accepting submissions until 8/31/16 laviniaspalding.com/blog/call_for_submissions_the_best_womens_travel_writing_volume_11
- Women in Travel Summit WITS is accepting applications for speakers at their next national conference. The deadline is October 18th. sheswanderful.com/witsummit/now-open-wits-17-speaker-applications/North
- American Travel Journalists Association NATJA is pleased to announce that the 25th Annual Awards Competition is now in full swing. You can get all the details on how to enter, as well as guidelines, categories, and prize list at: natja.org/awards.In 2016, the entry period starts August 1 and runs through September 30. The qualification period for published content is September 1, 2015 to August 31, 2016.
- Rick Steve’s has ongoing request for radio interviews subjects and questions. ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/audio/radio/interviewsBATW Planet Earth Awards 2017 for Best Travel Article or Essay for Planet Earth – entries due by August 15, 2016 – for more info visit:batw.org/batw-planet-earth-awardsNational Geographic Travel & Expeditions – recently launched a job search for a Senior Vice President of Marketing. Its a WDC based jobNomad Magazine always looking for beautiful and interesting stories to publish in NOMADS. For more info visit: nomadsmagazine.com/submissions
Calls for Submission
2016 Nominations Being Accepted for African Diaspora World Tourism Awards – 2016 Award Nominations are open for Leaders and Professionals who have made Outstanding Contributions in the Field of Black History and Cultural Heritage that has Positively Affected Tourism (Nominations are due by March 1, 2016. For more info contact KPope@AfricanDiasporaTourism.com or visit: africandiasporatourism.com
Rick Steves’ Radio Recording Sessions: Feb. 22–26, 2016 -“Tell us what you’d like to ask our guests by selecting a topic from our interview schedule and submitting your comment and contact information.As a thank you gift, we’ll mail a copy of any one of my guidebooks to those who join us on the air. You’ll hear these interviews in the next few months on the Travel with Rick Steves broadcasts on public radio, and in our weekly podcasts” ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/audio/radio/interviews
Eleventh Annual Solas Awards for Best Travel Story of the Year is open for Entries ($1000 prize) Deadline is September 21, 2016. besttravelwriting.com
Survivor show’s casting Firm is seeking ELITE MALE & FEMALE COMPETITORS: If you’re an adrenaline junkie, highly competitive and have a BIG personality – this is the show for you! To apply visit: theCastingFirm.com/survive Or email Castings@theCastingFirm.com
2015-16 SATW Foundation Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Competition ENTRY DEADLINE: APRIL 01, 2016 – betternewspapercontest.com/LTTravelJournalismContest
46 Literary Magazines To Submit To – letswriteashortstory.com/literary-magazines
Africa Specialist – Program Coordinator, Bushtracks Expeditions – info.bushtracks.com/careers
Nomad Magazine always looking for beautiful and interesting stories to publish in NOMADS. For more info visit: nomadsmagazine.com/submissions
Travel Designer Position at Rothschild Safaris with opportunity for traveling abroad rothschildsafaris.com
Travel Trade and Travel Writing Events
Women in Travel Summit 2016 – The first and only travel blogging summit by and for women. MARCH 18-20, 2016 IRVINE, CALIFORNIA – HOTEL IRVINE
Travel Professionals of Color (TPOC) is having their upcoming conference, April 23 – 30, 2016. The conference will take place on a 7 day cruise of the Mexican Riviera, which will include stops at Puerto Vallarta, La Paz, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas. TPOC is the leading black travel professional association in the USA. For more info, visit their website at tpocassociation.com
African Diaspora World Tourism (ADWT) Awards and Travel Expo, the next ADWT- awards event will take place on April 15-17th, 2016 in Atlanta, Ga. africandiasporatourism.com
World Travel Market held in Cape Town, South Africa, April 6-8, 2016 wtmafrica.com
The Africa Travel Association (ATA), in partnership with the African Union Mission to the United States and Global Strategies for Good, will launch the ATA Aviation, Travel & Trade Summit in Atlanta, GA April 17-18, 2016. .http://www.africatravelassociation.org/ATA-Event.asp?id=3;23
The 2016 Power of Words Conference: Begin with YES! will be held August 12th-14th, 2016 at Ferry Beach in Saco, Maine. tlanetwork.org/conference
Residencies for Writers in 2016
Four Seasons Safari Lodge Serengeti is hosting several individual or small group press trips for journalists on assignment in 2016. Four experiential nights in the heart of the Serengeti, tailored to your schedule. Parool Shah, email@example.com:firstname.lastname@example.org Sheila Donnelly & Associates-http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=35105329&msgid=663691&act=BREK&c=1071643&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fourseasons.com%2Fserengeti%2F
The Italian association of Skiing Journalists is organizing this year’s International Championship of Skiing Journalists (SKIJI) in March 14-20 in Sestriere, Piedmont, Italy, and is looking to invite two American journalists to take part in the competition. The Italian association would pay their stay/racing fees and all but they would have to pay for their trip from the US to Turin, Italy. The two prerequisites are that they are working journalists and good skiers Anyone interested? If so, email email@example.com
Five articles on traveling alone from Afar Magazine.http://email.afar.com/view/53448def899249e1cc97f8fb3mosh.a21g/7389a252 and another one in verve magazine – http://www.vergemagazine.com/travel-intelligence/editors-desk/1507-q-a-part-1-why-does-solo-female-travel-matter.html
Travel Writing Tips
16 Professional New Year’s Resolutions in 2016 For Writers That You Should Actually Keep, and provides resources to help. My favorite is #2: Write something every day.“Don’t know what to write about?” Here are tools and resources to help.http://blog.writersdomain.net/2016/01/25/16-in-2016-new-years-resolutions-for-writers
Writing Walking Women
Travel Bloggers Exchange
How to Get Your Book Published in 7,000 Easy Steps. michellecoxauthor.com
What do editors of Yahoo Travel, Nat Geo Intelligent Traveler, and two airline magazines want to see in their inbox? And what annoys them to death?
The Struggle Is Real — The Reality of Travel Writing
Elaine’s News, Travel Trade Info & Misc.
I will be giving a talk on African American Travel History at the upcoming Travel Professionals of Color’s national Conference in Los Angeles, Ca 4/20/2016
I will be on an international travel panel at the upcoming Women in Travel Summit 2016 MARCH 19, 2016 IRVINE, CALIFORNIA
I have been invited by the editor of Sunset Magazine to join again the judge’s panel for their travel awards program. The results were featured in the 2016 August edition of the magazine.
An excerpt from an interview with me is featured in a recent Root 100 Black History Month article. Its a travel piece written by Tracey Hopkins. The 5 Best Black History Travel Destinations. theroot.com/articles/culture/2016/02/the_5_best_black_history_travel_destinations.html
Does anyone know of a White House tour organized by an African American tour company??? if so, please share it by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
George Stone Appointed Editor-in-Chief, National Geographic Travel Magazine – press.nationalgeographic.com/2016/01/27/george-stone-appointed-editor-in-chief-national-geographic-travel
5 Exciting Reasons Why You Should Invest In Africa’s Agribusiness Industryhttp://financialjuneteenth.com/5-exciting-reasons-why-you-should-invest-in-africas-agribusiness-industry-now
I hope this message finds you in good health and good spirits.
In the spirit of sisterhood and collective upliftment, I am writing to share some travel related information that recently came my way. Hopefully, you will find something useful or interesting herein.
Awakening the global heart,
Calls for Submission
- The North American Travel Journalists Association (NATJA) 24th Annual Awards Competition is accepting entries in over 50 media categories which include print, online, apps, and photography, to name a few.Competition Entry Period Extended through November 10, 2015. Members and non-members are invited to submit. Media Gold Prize winners will have the opportunity to select from an array of prizes, including round trip tickets on JetBlue Airways, stays at destinations such as the Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort in Guatemala, Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa in Fiji, Sol Duc Hot Springs Resort, Olympic National Park, WA and more! Click here to see a full prize list. Winners will also be honored at an awards reception at the next NATJA Conference, to be held April 4th-8th, 2016 in Oxnard, California. natja.org/awards..
- Fodor’s Travel is looking for writers for the upcoming edition of our France guidebook, specifically concerning the following regions:-The Loire Valley-Normandy-Brittany-Basque Country, Gascony. If interested, please send your resume and clips addressed to Amanda Sadlowski at email@example.com.To view this discussion, go to:tripatini.com/group/mediaonly/forum/topic/show?id=3169359%3ATopic%3A619495&xg_source=msg
- Nomad Magazine always looking for beautiful and interesting stories to publish in NOMADS. For more info visit: nomadsmagazine.com/submissions
- Where’s My Tiara?” Deadline Dec. 1st. There’s still time to get your short story in for the upcoming anthology. For more info contact: firstname.lastname@example.org“ Where’s My Tiara?” is designed to paint an authentic and diverse portrait of lessons learned on the way to womanhood. women of every racial and cultural background, and sexual orientation are welcome to submit. Feel free to forward this Call for Submission to other female writers/female writing groups that may be interested in contributing to the anthology. The authors of the selected stories will receive one FREE copy of the anthology and a stipend of $100.00.A portion of the proceeds from sales of the anthology will be donated to MISSSEY — a Bay Area organization founded to respond to the epidemic of sexually exploited youth.
- Chrysalis: The Journal of Transformative Language Arts is now accepting submissions for: Academic theory-based essays on TLA; Narrative accounts of TLA in practice; Creative writing products with accompanying process papers. Contact Chrysalis Editor, Amber Ellis, with questions about submission guidelines. chrysalisjournal.org Rolling Submissions We will take submissions any time. If your manuscript is not chosen to be published in the current issue, we may send a request to publish it in a future issue or to ask you to re-submit it if you wish to.
Travel Trade and Travel Writing Events
- 21 Residencies for Writers in 2015
- 11th Annual San Miguel Writers’ Conference – Feb. 10-14, 2016 held in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico on Feb. 10-14, 2016, features more than 60 speakers, faculty and agents. Among the keynote speakers are Joyce Carol Oates, Scott Simon, Gail Sheehy and Kirk Ellis. The early-bird packages are already sold out, so don’t hesitate before signing up. ilhttp://sanmiguelwritersconference.org
- Hedgebrook writing residency ! “My residency at Hedgebrook allowed me to embrace and nourish myself as a writer; it was an astonishingly powerful experience. I encourage all writers who identify as women to apply for a fully-funded residency of their own so they, too, can experience Hedgebrook’s “radical hospitality” firsthand.” J. Carr. To be notified when the application for the 2017 residency season just subscribe to the Hedgebrook Newsletter. hedgebrook.org/#subscribe
- AKWAABA, also known as the African Travel Market (ATM), will be held once again at the New Expo Centre at the Eko Hotel and Suites in Lagos, Nigeria from November 22-24, 2015. AKWAABA has been designated by the Nigerian Tourism Development Corporation (NTDC) as the official travel exhibition of Nigeria. wtmafrica.com
- African Diaspora World Tourism (ADWT) Awards and Travel Expo, the next ADWT- awards event will take place on April 15-17th, 2016 in Atlanta, Ga. africandiasporatourism.com
- World Travel Market held in Cape Town, South Africa, April 6-8, 2016 wtmafrica.com
- The Africa Travel Association (ATA), in partnership with the African Union Mission to the United States and Global Strategies for Good, will launch the ATA Aviation, Travel & Trade Summit in Atlanta, GA April 17-18, 2016. Sponsored by the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport with Honorary Chair Ambassador Andrew Young, the event will be held at the Georgia International Convention Center. Inspired by the theme Elevating Africa’s Aviation & Tourism Industry, the Summit will bring together leading global airlines, aviation experts, tourism professionals, corporations, business leaders, government officials, travel buyers and suppliers who have an interest in the advancement of the airline industry, business development and tourism in Africa. The Summit will include an Africa Cultural Night and a full-day of sessions.http://www.africatravelassociation.org/ATA-Event.asp?id=3;23
- New York Times Travel Show Javitz Center, New York, January 8-10, 2016
Indonesia’s Consul for Information and Public Diplomacy Affairs is hosting a press trip to Bali and Yogya, November 15-22. If you’re interested, respond directly to:
F. Bernard Loesi, Consul for Information and Public Diplomacy Affairs
(415) 474 9571 ext. 242
Fax : (415) 441 4320
Green Land is offering a series of FAM opportunities for 2016 including: 1. Danakil itinerary- March 19-27 with Djibouti extension March 26-29 2. Omo Valley & interaction with the Surma people- April 1-10 3. Northwest expedition- April 14-23 4. Historic route April 29-May 9 with Harar extension May 10-12 For more information, pricing and day to day itineraries please contact us at email@example.com greenlandethiopia.com
- Want to write about the top Caribbean resorts? Seeking qualified North American journalists to experience any of the following Caribbean resorts. We believe in one-on-one journalist press visits so you enjoy the resorts just like a guest. A truer experience makes for more accurate writing for readers. Our resort clients include: Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort, Aruba – 2015 #1 Caribbean Resort (TripAdvisor), most eco-certifications in the region – where hospitality meets “green” Nisbet Plantation Beach Club, Nevis – The Caribbean’s only historic plantation inn on the beach The Somerset on Grace Bay, Turks & Caicos – 5-star luxury beach vacation on the Caribbean’s #1 beach Rosalie Bay Resort, Dominica – Charter member of National Geographic’s Unique Lodges of the World Bolongo Bay Beach Resort, St. Thomas – “The Caribbean’s most entertaining beach resort” – MEDIA CONTACT – Amy Kerr United States (757) 645-3113ZOHAR AFRICAN SAFARIS ANNOUNCES AGENT FAM TRIPS 6- and 8-Day Land Trips in East Africa Combines Wildlife Viewingwith Sampling of Diverse Cultural Experiences http://www.zoharafricansafaris.com/zohar-african-safaris-announces-its-first-agent-fam-trips
Travel Trade News
Brett J. Hart Named Acting CEO of United Airlines, President and CEO Oscar Munoz to Take Medical Leave – The first time an African American has ever held this position. newsroom.united.com/2015-10-19-Brett-J-Hart-Named-Acting-CEO-of-United-Airlines-President-and-CEO-Oscar-Munoz-to-Take-Medical-Leave
- Sistah attorney, Chunnie Wright, contributed a number of legal sections to PathWrangler’s free eBook, “Living the Dream! An Entrepreneur’s Guide to Starting and Operating a Successful Adventure Travel Company.” The free eBook is available here. pathwrangler.com/livingthedream?utm_source=September+2015+Newsletter&utm_campaign=Fall2015+AL+newsletter&utm_medium=email
- Triple-citizen Ndoema, aka The Global Girl, is a globetrotting model, actress and lifelong healthy living expert. theglobalgirl.com
Travel Writing Tips
- 8 Tips For Brown Girl Indie Authors Aspiring To Make Amazon’s Best Selling Lists – madamenoire.com/509042/8-tips-brown-girl-indie-authors-aspiring-make-amazons-best-selling-lists/?utm_source=MadameNoire+Newsletters&utm_campaign=77ce3e47de-MadameNoire_Biz7_2_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c17160abd1-77ce3e47de-131570093
- What I Learned On The Way to 100,000 Instagram Followers gary.arndt.com/2015/10/20/instagram-followers
Good news, I recently made a guest appearance on the San Francisco based KQED restaurant review show “Check Please”. The episode features my review of Oakland’s Kingston 11 restaurant. “Check Please” is an Emmy award winning and James Beard Foundation award winning show that is celebrating its 10th anniversary season.-You can see the program online at: youtube.com/watch?v=qreZIi4UUeo
Spread the word!!! the more feedback they get, the more they will run the show and the more business the restaurant gets!!
Hola, bonjour, ciao, hello,
I hope this message finds you in good health and good spirits.
In the spirit of sisterhood and collective upliftment, I am writing to share some travel related information that recently came my way.
You can also find this info on my website at: http://www.ugogurl.com/blog/travel-writing-opportunities where I will leave it until my next edition. I regret the crude formatting of this missive but hopefully you will find some news you can use.
I dedicate this e-message to the memory of Linda Cousins-Newton, who recently spiraled forth into the ancestral realm. Linda was the first contributor to my travel anthology “Go Girl”. She was a true cybersister, gifted storyteller, mystic, talented author, racewoman, traveler, devoted wife, friend and mother. I pray she is being met by a welcoming presence and that she is soaring freely in the heart of God.
Calls for Submission
Women In Travel Summit welcomes wanderful women of all kinds as attendees, speakers, sponsors and volunteers at their upcoming conference 3/18-3/20 2016, in Irvine CA, 10/1/15 submission deadline. http://www.sheswanderful.com/witsummit/why-intersectionality-is-important-for-wits-16-and-why-we-need-your-help/
· The Adventure Travel Trade Association is proud to present the second year of the Adventure in Motion short film competition. Short films that inspire viewers to experience adventure travel are encouraged to enter the contest which runs from August 4 – September 8, 2015. The winner will be announced on September15th. http://www.adventure.travel/film-contest/?utm_source=ATTA+%26+AdventureTravelNews&utm_campaign=7b5c71ea03AiM_Contest_Opens_Today_8_04_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_1e08e536bd-7b5c71ea03-412686997
· Global Investigative Journalism Network Need a change? We’ve updated GIJN’s popular Grants and Fellowships guide. There are now more than 60 opportunities for journalists listed, from short-term workshops to year-long sabbaticals, from help to report a story overseas to work on an hour-long documentary. More at: http://gijn.org/resources/grants-and-fellowships.
· Africa Program Director | Wildland Adventures http://careers.adventuretravel.biz/jobs/7428510/africa-program-director-wildland-adventures
· Becoming a digital nomad is quickly becoming one of the easiest ways to work abroad. These careers may be your ticket to becoming location independent.
A vacancy announcement for Foreign Service Social Worker – Limited Non-Career Appointment will open on September 01, 2015. The announcement will close on September 16, 2015. U.S. State Department
· A Black travel conference hosted by Nomadness will be held in NYC 9/26/15. Its a one day conference that brings people together in the realms of international art, music, food, entrepreneurship, and much more! http://nmdnconference.com/
African Travel Association/ATA’s 40th Annual World Congress will be held in Nairobi, Kenya from November 9-14, 2015. http://www.africatravelassociation.org/ATA-Event.asp?id=3;6
· 2015 Go Global Expo – Dates for 2015 are:
Toronto, Sept 19-20
Montreal, Sept 26
Boston, Sept 27
- African Diaspora World Tourism Awards gala event will take place April 16, 2016 in Atlanta, Georgia
· Adventure Travel World Summit is in Alaska next year, September 2016 https://www.adventuretravel.biz/connect/summit/alaska-2016/
Travel Writing News
- There was a recent article on black travel in the New York Times entitled “Black Travel Groups Find Kindred Spirits on Social Networks” by Ashley Southall http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/26/travel/black-travel-noire-nomadness.html?_r=0 ” (excerpt)What are you? South African?” the man finally said. When I told him we were American, he asked again, “South African?” This kind of encounter with incredulity is a recurring scene for black Americans traveling to far-flung destinations, and their experiences led to the creation of the Nomadness Travel Tribe, an invitation-only collective of more than 10,000 globe-trotters spread out over 36 countries.
· Sistahs Will Travel: Six Travel Sites for Black Women to Inspire Your Wanderlust
Read more: http://theculture.forharriet.com/2015/07/sistahs-will-travel-six-travel-sites.html#ixzz3fkJyxSpf
· Travelling while African by Martha Mukaiwa. As a black African travelling abroad you always come with more baggage than what you stowed on the flight over. http://thisisafrica.me/travelling-african
Instagram for Travel Writers and Photographers http://www.batw.org/tips-resources/lee-daley_august-2015/
Press Trip Opportunities from DCI Announced! Development Counsellors International (DCI) is excited to share 2015 press trip opportunities from all of our destination clients! Watch this 20-minute webinar to learn what’s brewing for 2015 and to plan out your editorial research travel schedule.
• Exploring California’s islands
• Summer fun in Upstate New York’s Finger Lakes Wine Country
• Louisville’s urban bourbon trail
• North Carolina’s culinary adventures
• Eco-adventures in The Palm Beaches, Florida
If any of the destinations featured pique your interest, please email Malcolm Griffiths at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
On May 16, the Sierra Club elected Aaron Mair of Schenectady, New York, as its new president. An epidemiological-spatial analyst with the New York State Department of Health, Mair brings more than three decades of environmental activism and over 25 years as a Sierra Club volunteer leader to his position as the Sierra Club’s first African American president.
· Help for people with Airline woes – https://www.getairhelp.com
· Story about People Who Travel Alone – “There’s nothing quite like waking up by yourself in an unfamiliar place with nothing to do but explore. It’s simultaneously invigorating and unnerving. For more visit: http://elitedaily.com/life/travel-alone-wise/1131083/
· “Why am I compelled to write?… Because the world I create in the writing compensates for what the real world does not give me. By writing I put order in the world, give it a handle so I can grasp it. I write because life does not appease my appetites and anger… To become more intimate with myself and you. To discover myself, to preserve myself, to make myself, to achieve self-autonomy. To dispell the myths that I am a mad prophet or a poor suffering soul. To convince myself that I am worthy and that what I have to say is not a pile of shit… Finally I write because I’m scared of writing, but I’m more scared of not writing.” Gloria E. Anzaldúa
· 4 Self-Publishing Myths That Are Keeping You Down http://www.problogger.net/archives/2013/12/07/warning-these-4-self-publishing-myths-are-keeping-you-down/
· “We Said Go” Travel Writing Contest – deadline has just passed but you might want to get on their mailing list for next year. http://wesaidgotravel.com/writing-contest/
Hola, bonjour, ciao, hello,
I hope this message finds you well.
In the spirit of sisterhood and collective upliftment, I am writing to share with you some travel related information that recently came my way.
Hopefully, you will find something useful or interesting herein.You can also find this info on my website at: http://www.ugogurl.com/blog/travel-writing-opportunities where I will leave it until my next edition.
Calls for Submission
- Smithsonian Journeys has a new travel quarterly that focuses on cultural travel: http://www.magazine.org/industry-news/press-releases/member-press-releases/smithsonian-enterprises-announces-new-publication – Smithsonian magazine is accepting unsolicited proposals from established freelance writers for features and some departments. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/contact/article-submit-print-magazine/
- The Underground Railroad Free Press Prizes is accepting nominations for its awards program. The purpose of the Underground Railroad Free Pressprizes is to recognize and honor the most outstanding contributions to contemporary Underground Railroad work in leadership, preservation and advancement of knowledge. http://urrfreepress.com/#Prizes
- I regret I that I found so few calls for submission. Hopefully you will find new places to submit your work via some of the webzines and magazines listed in the news section below.
· China Fam trip for trip planners. October 5-15, 2015 -Citslinc International, Inc., www.citslinc.org
108 N. Ynez Ave., # 205, Monterey Park, California 91754, USA Phone: (626) 571-0616 • Fax: (626) 571-7916 • E-mail: email@example.com
· 21 Residencies for Writers in 2015 http://www.aerogrammestudio.com/2015/01/08/residencies-for-writers-2015/
Travel Writing Events
The International Food Wine & Travel Writers Association (IFWTWA) is a global network of journalists who cover the hospitality and lifestyle fields, and the people who promote them. Annual conference in Montreal, Canada September 5 –8, 2015 http://ifwtwa.org/
Travel Writing Tips/News
1. Black Enterprise Feature Story in May! Adventure Seeker: How Nomadness Tribe’s Evita Robinson Launched Global Travel Movement http://www.blackenterprise.com/lifestyle/evita-robinson-nomadness-travel-tribe-founder-tips-advice-passion-purpose-monetize/
2. International Travel Rising For Black American http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segment/international-black-travelers-on-the-rise/54b434ef02a7604f9f00003f
3. Arnold Donald, Carnival Corporation’s 1st Black CEO, Navigates Cruise Lines to $1.5 Billion in Profit.
Arnold Donald, Carnival Corporation’s 1st Black CEO, Navigates Cruise Lines to $1.5 Billion in Profit
4. Ten Travel Bloggers of Color You Should Follow By Bani Amor http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/01/10-travel-bloggers-of-color-you-should-follow.html
5. Twelve black travel accounts on instagram that will quench your wanderlust
6. Self-Portrait Of The Artist As Ungrateful Black Writer: No, I’m not happy to “just be here.” Racism doesn’t vanish the moment we set foot into the ivory towers and glittering soirees of the literati. http://www.buzzfeed.com/saeedjones/self-portrait-of-the-artist-as-ungrateful-black-writer#.bc2MzjW7DK
7. Eight Tips For Brown Girl Indie Authors Aspiring To Make Amazon’s Best Selling Lists – http://madamenoire.com/509042/8-tips-brown-girl-indie-authors-aspiring-make-amazons-best-selling-lists/?utm_source=MadameNoire+Newsletters&utm_campaign=77ce3e47de-MadameNoire_Biz7_2_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c17160abd1-77ce3e47de-131570093
8. http://travelnoire.com – a Black travel website for the global community of black travelers
9. Diary of a Traveling Black Women is an international travel guide that seeks to motivate Black women to travel internationally. https://www.facebook.com/TravelingBlackWomen
10. Black Girl, Latin World – Where fierceness, afrolatinidad and art take center stage – http://blackgirllatinworld.com/
11. Noir guides has a new black travel book on North Carolina http://www.noirguides.com
12. Dream of Living Abroad? 5 International Jobs You Can Apply for ASAP http://www.levo.com/articles/career-advice/5-awesome-jobs-if-you-want-to-live-abroad
13. Seven countries where Americans can study at universities, in English, for free (or almost free) http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/10/29/7-countries-where-americans-can-study-at-universities-in-english-for-free-or-almost-free/?tid=sm_fb
14. Why Travel Makes You Grow http://www.raptitude.com/2014/09/why-travel-makes-you-grow/
15. Passports With Purpose was founded as a way to build community among travel bloggers and to give back to the places we, as travelers, visit. http://passportswithpurpose.org/
16. Girls That Roam is an online travel magazine and community for independent globetrotting women – See more at: http://girlsthatroam.com
Travel Writing Tips
· Best apps and tools for recording phone or Skype interviews! https://ijnet.org/en/blog/best-apps-and-tools-recording-phone-or-skype-interviews.
· Broadcasting Live Video “On the Road” With an iPhone and an Internet connection, you can shoot and post video clips to YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook while traveling. http://bit.ly/1EJlnXJ
· Self publishing info: If you’re interested in or are already self-publishing, you’ll want to read results of the yearly Publishing Service Index. There’s a lot to ponder, including the surprising news that Kindle has fallen from #1 to #3 among self-published authors. Here’s the link: http://nblo.gs/11OGwt
· The Great Events Media Guide 2015 provides you with great local and regional media coverage for your events. We include all Sunday and daily newspapers in your local area, your entire state, surrounding states and the entire USA. http://mckenzienewsservice.com/program/more/great_events_media_guide_2015.htm
· Galleycat – is made up of nine industry-leading, continuously-updated websites covering the inner workings the media industry: from social media to TV news; from advertising to PR; book publishing, web publishing, print, digital, newspapers, magazines and radio. http://www.adweek.com/galleycat/
· North American Travel Journalists Association http://www.natja.org/
· Skiplagged (https://skiplagged.com)shows people how to find lower airfares using an insider strategy that’s been around for years. It works so well United is suing the founder of the skiplagged site. http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/columnist/hobica/2015/01/06/skiplagged-hidden-city-ticketing/21290655/
Good news, I was recently invited to be the keynote speaker at the 2015 annual African American Travel Conference near Chicago on April 15th. The African American Travel Conference (AATC) is an association of 2,500 travel planners, the second largest association of African American travel professionals. http://www.aatconline.com
It was an honor and sacred privilege to share my speech entitled “In celebration of African American Travel: From the Slaveship to the Spaceship.” There was an accompanying slide show that showcased African American travel heroes past and present. I also highlighted some new and exciting things happening in the world of the African American traveler.
More good news, I am featured in the June edition of Prevention Magazine, in a story entitled “Outside Chance”. The article highlights the journeys of seven women adventure travelers. What a thrill to have my travel lifestyle showcased in this publication. Prevention is the nation’s leading healthy lifestyle magazine with an audience of 13 million readers. It just hit the newsstand yesterday. I welcome your checking out the story and if you are so inclined, please send me your comments and I will pass it along to the writer of the story, who has just accepted a job as the health editor of “O” magazine. If you have any great pitch ideas, feel free to share them with me and I will pass them onto her as well.
As you may remember, I was invited by the editor of Sunset Magazine to join the judges panel for their new travel awards program. Well, we met in February, made our decisions and their June issue showcases out findings!!! Looking forward to attending the big celebration in June.
Living courageously and victoriously,