Below is a link to the newsletter:
Here is an excerpt from it:
Nowhere Magazine Travel Writing Contest-Deadline: December 15, 2017 Entry Fee: $20 Cash Prize: $1,000 Visit the website for guidelines.
Calls for Submission
- Nowhere Magazine Travel Writing Contest-Deadline: December 15, 2017 Entry Fee: $20 Cash Prize: $1,000 Visit the website for guidelines. http://nowheremag.com/contests
- Airbnb has a new travel magazine. They welcome stories. For more info visit: https://airbnbmag.com/about In the current issue Candacy Taylor has a story about her “green book”project. Check it out at: airbnbmag.com/green-boo
- National Book Foundation – Director of Public Programs
Send resume, cover letter, and a brief statement describing your literary interests to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Director of Public Programs.
- Black Caucus of the American Library Association Literary AwardsDeadline: December 29, 2017 Cash Prize: $50 E-mail address: email@example.com
- Atlas Obscura is the definitive guide to the world’s wondrous and curious places. Atlas Obscura is a collaborative project. They depend on their far-flung community of explorers (like you!) to help them discover amazing, hidden spots, and share them with the world. If you know of a curious place that’s not already in the Atlas, let them know. https://www.atlasobscura.com/
- The Graywolf Press Africa Prize for first novel manuscripts. Submissions from October 1 – October 31, 2017. Make a note to check them out next year. t.co/lsJomf4XSS
- The Discoverer is a global community of explorers, sharing insight on the world’s most unique places. Apply to become an ambassador! https://www.thediscoverer.com/
- Amy Alexander, editor of Panorama: The Journal of Intelligent Travel is looking for women EXPLORERS, ADVENTURERS, OUTDOORSWOMEN for a piece she is going to propose about women explorers and victim blaming, inspired by and including the recent rape and deaths of several significant women of adventure. Interested in solo adventures of all kinds:climbers, cyclists, those walking across landscapes, etc firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Verge Magazine Overseas Program Search lets you explore more than 7,000 opportunities to volunteer abroad, teach abroad, work abroad or study abroad. www.vergemagazine.com/program-search.htm
- Rick Steve’s has ongoing request for radio interviews subjects and questions. ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/audio/radio/interviews
- Nomad Magazine always looking for beautiful and interesting stories to publish in NOMADS. For more info visit: nomadsmagazine.com/submissions
Travel Trade and Travel Writing Events
- WOMEN IN TRAVEL SUMMIT -WITS ’18 – THE PREMIER EVENT FOR WOMEN TRAVEL INFLUENCERS, CREATORS, AND BRANDS. BROUGHT TO YOU BY WANDERFUL will be in Québec City on May 4-6, 2018
- World Travel Market, Cape Town, South Africa, 18-20 April 2018
- The New York Times Travel Show, New York, NY 26-28 January 2018
- DIY Free Writing Retreat – A House of Her Own: Creating Your Own Writing Retreat by Kelly Hayes-Raitt Any writer who has applied for a residency at a writer’s colony knows the process is expensive, time-consuming and competitive, not to mention fairly inflexible, schedully speaking. For more info visit: travelwritersnews.com/news/travel_tips_and_resources/diy-free-writing-retreat
Travel Media Info
- OWN Network’s new fall show “Checking Inn”, follows Innkeeper, Monique Greenwood as she runs Akwaaba Bed & Breakfast Inns, the most successful B&B business on the East Coast.
- Black Woman gets TV show on Travel Channel! Pilot, adventurer and travel writer, Kellee Edwards, is an Island Explorer – on the hunt to find the best bargains, private beaches and magical experiences on the planet’s lesser-known islands. https://www.kelleesetgo.com
- Travel TV show is hosted by a sistah! Dayvee Sutton, a two-time National Emmy Award winning journalist, who currently hosts travel segments for CNN and USA TODAY, recently launched her own travel show in partnership with Amazon, called “Beyond the Usual”. daily-affair.com/p/beyond-usual.html
- 15 Travel Bloggers of Color You Should Be Following by Nikki Fox – baucemag.com/black-travel-bloggers
- I recent;y found a nicely designed travel website created by Desiree Thomas. adesiredjourney.com
- Wild Women Expeditions, offers a free copy of Wild Women Magazine that illuminates the inspiring stories of women’s relationships with wild nature. In 90 pages of stunning full-color photography and risk-taking design, Jane Goodall and other Wild Women share their stories, some of which are sagas of journeys created by Wild Women Expeditions.
Send your name and mailing address for a free copy. email@example.com
- PAN AFRICAN AMERICAN CULTURAL HERITAGE NEWSLETTER published their first issue. http://www.nbtmc.org/the-news-letter.html
- The TED Residency program is an incubator for breakthrough ideas. It is free and open to all via a semiannual competitive application. Those chosen as TED Residents will spend fourteen weeks at TED headquarters in New York City, working on their ideas. The application for the Spring 2018 class is open and will close on January 5, 2018. The Spring Residency will run from March 12, 2018 until June 15, 2018.
- Monocle was launched as an online magazine briefing on global affairs, business, culture, design and much more. We believed that there was a globally minded audience of readers who were hungry for opportunities and experiences beyond their national borders. monocle.com is keeping an eye and an ear on the world.
- Griots Republic has recently published a colossal 300 page coffee table book (15″x12″) entitled, #Black Travel: The Anthology that includes a foreword by India.arie. The Anthology is an inclusive collection of travel photos and information on the hottest Black Travel Groups and Bloggers in the travelsphere. The breadth of editorials and essays run the gamut from luxury travel to backpacking and are penned by writers from New York to Bangkok. To learn more about the book or order a copy, visit www.blacktravel.com.
- Key Adventure Travel Trends: For 2017 Planning and Beyond
- What We See When We Look at Travel Photography – NYTimes.com
One of the most thought-provoking perspectives on travel photography
and travel writing that I’ve ever come across. In the last NY Times
Sunday magazine, and followed by an extensive and spectacular gallery
- Off Assignment—a home for the tales writers gather en route to official stories—to prove it. Forged by today’s top journalists, essayists, and travel writers, Off Assignment is a publication dedicated to candid storytelling about moving through space. www.offassignment.com
- What do editors of Yahoo Travel, Nat Geo Intelligent Traveler, and two airline magazines want to see in their inbox? And what annoys them to death?
- The Struggle Is Real — The Reality of Travel Writing
Travel Writing tips
- The 2017 edition of the Black Authors & Published Writers Directory is available on Amazon.com. “A Step-By-Step Sales and Marketing System for Black Authors and Writers The 10th Edition 2017 “Black Authors & Published Writers Directory” is available. For aspiring authors and other creatives, the idea of networking with thousands of Black literary professionals and organizations; radio and TV talk shows, newspaper and magazine editors, marketing consultants, and advertising directors is priceless”.
- Looking for travel writing tips? Check out dreamoftravelwriting.com/blog
- Want to have information on how to pitch to hundreds of travel magazines at your finger tips? Tell your story. Use catchy text, bullets, links and more to bring your words to life. travelmagazinedatabase.com
- A guy who’s been to 135 countries shares 9 places where you can live for $1000 a month
- The 50 Best Travel Apps for 2017
- Bani Amor interviewed me about my travel writing legacy.
Below are pics of the new Black Travel anthology and Kellee Edwards, the new Travel Channel star!