Link to the newsletter here: https://ckarchive.com/b/mvu7h5hw675m
Below is an excerpt from the newsletter:
Afrocentric Travel News/Info
Feature articles – thanks to BLM there a plethora of them. Here is a sampling.
- Looking for more information about racial discrimination in the travel industry? Check out Travel Massive’s BLM lounge – a space to share resources, information, links, articles and BLM statements from travel companies such as Expedia, Hilton, Carnaval and Alaska Airlines.
- Diversity in travel writing: 15 travel books written by people of colour by Noo Saro-Wiwa for CondeNaste. It features a book by Faith Adiele, renown traveler writer/educator and contributor to “Go Girl”..
- Black Travelers Are Always Depicted As Locals, Never the Explorers: Black people are often left out of the travel conversation altogether. Nneya Richards – June 17, 2020
- ‘I’m leaving and I’m just not coming back: Fed up with racism, Black Americans head overseas” by Kim Hjelmgaard – USA TODAY, 7/1/20
- Black travel professionals: Navigating leaky pipelines and glass cliffs – Travel Weekly’s interview with Andy Ingram, CEO of National Association of Black Hotel Owners, Operators & Developers,
- Here’s how travelers of color are smashing stereotypes: The travel industry hasn’t always welcomed everyone. These people want to change that. National Geographic article by Heather Greenwood Davis 7/14/20
- “What I discovered traveling the world solo as a black woman: In the wake of devastating loss, a writer finds sisterhood and healing in daring journeys.” By Sheri Hunter for National Geographic
- The hashtag that shook the publishing world: #PublishingPaidMe has blown the lid off racial and gender discrepancies in book advances, with authors like Jesmyn Ward, Roxane Gay, and more revealing numbers that might shock you.
- Amistad Publishing created a stir with #BlackoutBestsellerList, championed by the likes of Angie Thomas and Oprah Winfrey.